The Smartphone in particular has gobbled up other gadgets with a ravenous appetite. From the simple – alarm clocks and torch – to the complicated – MP3 players and cameras – there’s little the designers who design them haven’t managed to shoehorn into ever more slim line devices.
This growing gadget convergence isn’t set to stop. The Smartphone is the most important tool in our lives, always with us and always ready to do our bidding (reception and battery allowing).
![]() |
| Willie Foo Birthday 2012 |
While I recognize that I am not part of their usual social or family circle (and am also from a different generation -- I am 45), I was still surprised that during an entire day spent in their home, neither young person asked me ONE question about me or my life.
In fact, I was privately shocked at how abominable their manners were, and at the fact that their parents seemed to accept their way of behaving as perfectly normal. Many young people appear to be ADDICTED to their devices -- and I mean this in the most literal sense. As far as I can see, they are seeking constant gratification or validation from the latest text, tweet or whatever, just as the thoughts of a drug addict rarely stray far from their next hit or fix.
It's paradoxical indeed that this is the consequence of the so-called 'communications revolution'. Unfortunately, its technologies have developed so fast that I feel they are actually controlling our behavior much more than they are serving us as tools. They have also allowed employers and complete strangers alike to encroach on our time, activities and privacy in a manner that would have seemed unimaginable 30 years ago. These communications technologies have provided us with tremendous convenience in many ways, but they are also imposing costs on us that we have yet to fully acknowledge and deal with.

No comments:
Post a Comment